If there is a material that defines our era, that is plastic, and if there is an era that can be defined with a material, that is ours, 'the generation of plastic'.
And is that polymers have been key to scientific advancement, science and technology development, mass production, food preservation, and ultimately, they are part of improving the standard of living of humans during the XNUMXth century.
Engine parts, electrical and electronic devices, bodies, electrical insulators, pipes, waterproofing, insulating polystyrene foams, wrappers, toys, suitcases, sporting goods, textile fibers, furniture, garbage bags, etc.
The characteristics of plastic materials are practically unmatched on our planet. They have a low production costHis easy to mold, they are usually waterproof, good electrical, acoustic and thermal insulators, corrosion resistantpossess low density and they are also very resistant to environmental changes, they are not biodegradable (mostly).
This last characteristic is what has led the world - along with other polluting activities - to a climatic state of emergency, since our oceans have a quantity of waste disproportionate plastics. A study at the University of Ireland at Galway shows that a 73% of the fish analyzed in the North Atlantic have consumed plastic. That is, 3 out of 4 fish have ingested plastics, fish that finally end up in our stomachs.
So this Friday we celebrate the world day without plastics, because it is it is essential to reduce the level of plastic waste. This day reminds us that we must become aware of the need to recycle plastic materials since they are not susceptible to integrate into nature but destroy ecosystems, landscapes and lives. Therefore, it is essential that we separate these materials that we use daily for recycling.
Today the recycling process is so essential to humanity like any primary industry, but it is not enough. We find millions of plastic waste on each shore of each ocean, there are kilometer-long dumps of plastic waste that will never be recycled.
We are surrounded by plastic materials that we really need, yet There is a huge amount of plastics that we do not need to consume, or that we can replace with other materials.
Here comes another of the key points. The decrease in the use of plastic. There are countless plastic objects that we consume daily without necessity since, either we can stop using such objects as straws, plastic cutlery, bags for fruits, unnecessary packaging, etc., or we can replace the plastic material with biodegradable and compostable materials that do not leave a trace when discarded.
It is the reason why Packawin was born. To try to replace the most damaging objects for our ecosystems. To raise awareness of the need to change the model, to reuse, to look for sustainable materials to replace those who have slowly flooded our oceans with garbage.
That is why we offer solutions to the most damaging objects for our ecosystems:
1. Plastic straws / straws. These objects that are used to sip drink for no more than half an hour and can end up staying for 500 years on our planet. They are also not recyclable. Therefore, we understood that we needed offer sustainable solutions. Our first step was to implement a straw that was reusable, so we can use the same straw over and over again without the need to discard anything. Besides, andWe find in bamboo the best ally, a compostable material whose production is incessant, since bamboo grows every day and it is not necessary to cut the plant to extract it. We also offer recycled paper straws, which are biodegradable so that their impact on the environment is nil.
2. We try do away with low weight plastic bags (bags of fruits and vegetables in supermarkets). They are the bags that do more damage due to their composition. They quickly become microplastics and they easily get into living things, causing diseases. For it, we have reusable bags that you can wash and reuse as many times as you want, and you will stop consuming unnecessary and very harmful plastics.
3. Now that the 'take away' service is so fashionable, it is essential that Packaging materials degrade organically with food. Therefore, we offer several ranges of fully compostable products, with corn fiber, or sugar cane and bamboo.
4. Palm leaf tableware. Fully compostable. We must forget the plastic plates and bowls, whose single use causes centuries of waste in our oceans.
5. In addition, we offer reusable products of natural origin. Our natural coconut shell dinnerware comes from natural materials that they were going to be thrown away and become useful for our daily life.
In this world day without plastics we must go one step further towards sustainability on our planet and the responsible use and consumption of plastic materials. We are on the way, will you join us?